Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The 'Break'

Everyone talks about 'breaks'. Big-breaks, taking a break, on a break, break a leg... The list goes on.
As for me, 2011 started with promises of a 'big-break'. I took a long break at the end of Jan & flew to Cambodia for a holiday. That signified January for me. Now, in February, I was making a mental note of taking a break at the end of the month to go on a quick holiday. Somehow, my subconscious mind worked faster than my actions.
It was the 20th of Feb, on a Sunday afternoon. I had absolutely no plans that morning. Not wanting to waste the remainder of my Sunday, I decided to return the Spanish book I borrowed from the National Library. The kids were crying from wanting to follow me & the tension from hearing both their screams and crying was building up. I had to leave as fast as I could.. The sounds were deafening. Run!!!! I recalled telling myself. In that speed of moving around, I walked into my mums' room & in avoiding my mother who was standing on my way, my leg angled to the edge of the king sized teak-wood bed and hit it with a fierce bang! I immediately broke down on tears. The pain was unbearable and looking at my toe, I knew it was broken. I cried in pain while I tip-toed my way to my own room where I laid my head to rest. In that instant, the next 1 week of home rest flashed in my head.
There was no one at home to take me to the doctor for an x-ray so I waited for vj to finish class to take me to the doctor. Waiting for a cab on a Sunday was not even an option. It was 1230pm when he finally called. I was very calm by then as I just lay still on the bed, not moving the broken toe at all.
He arrived 30mins later, took me to Lourdes medical, I had my x-ray done & the doctor advised me to admit myself overnight or come early the next morning to meet the orthopaedics.
Decision.. Decision.. Decision..

No comments: