Thursday, July 29, 2010

Readers Digest Prize Money RM250,000

Received an email with Readers Digest letterhead a few days ago. It was a brief letter stating that I am one of the lucky winners to-be for a RM250K cash money. They asked me to wait for another email with details of the same. 2 days later the detailed letter arrived. It even had a car key attached on a piece of paper. I wish it was a "real key" for me to use. There were 3 cars to choose from: 2 Hyundai models and a Honda Civic. I was eyeing on the Honda but there was a number etched on the key which corresponds to which car you will be getting. 2638 - Honda Civic! Wow, what a coincidence I thought.

I had to verify the legitimacy of the letter and the names it had on it. SO I did a simple search on the names mentioned. This included the address of the actual RD office in Malaysia.

Checking on the Finance director, E Courtney I came across this link which is from the RD office UK which clarifies that it is a SCAM. There's nothing more assuring than hearing it from the ORIGINAL https://myrd.readersdigest.co.uk/misc/Fraud.htm . Apparently there has been other names used as their Fin Director.
They even have some basic tips on avoiding scam here https://myrd.readersdigest.co.uk/misc/Tips.htm

On further investigation, The contact details of RD Malaysia Customer care centre is the exact one provided in the snail mail - with a legitimate email add : friends@rdasia.com.my (What a clever cover up!!)
The numbers were also correct BUT the names and other details aren't. In fact it is a very clever marketing cover. They didn't write as I am a guaranteed winner BUT it's written as Unrestricted Access to a special prize opportunity worth up to RM145,000! They were also giving away a FREE Piercarlo D'alessio watch and an opportunity to win RM250,000 or more.

And the Piercarlo D'alessio watch actually costs about RM35 up to RM70 depending on the face and wrist type. Upon checking that out, I ended up at Coupon snapshots at which then led me to the Malaysian version at http://www.shoppy.com.my/ for goods of all sort and http://www.foodpromotions.com.my/2009/04/wendys-online-coupon.html for food promo coupons.

I think I'm sliding off topic here, so back to the initial post, I did check again on the scam activities by RD considering that this isn't the first time I came across such a promo bearing their name. I was led to this site: http://www.scam.com/. I've registered myself in it to have more access to their forums and post some of my own 2 cents worth where it applies. Good to visit it since it also covers scams in Malaysia and worldwide.

Long short of the matter is, in this internet age where information is indeed power, it only takes at least 10 minutes to google such an information to confirm it's legitimacy. In my humbe opinion, I think it is time well spent. As the saying goes... A stitch in time saves nine, I have my own - a google in time saves 10!

6 comments:

Aini Razali said...

also got too...

Iym Ismail said...

I just realized i received this letter too..seems like quite convincing but i knew this is just not true. So i straight away throw it in my dustbin!

Unknown said...

I had in october 2013 RD sent me via pos laju a parcel but wasnt around at home. After collect from Pos Laju, it was a book that claimed I ordered thru RD and ask me for payment. I hesitate to make payment at first but due to their famous reputation what the heck paying RM57.50 with cheque. After a week or so, I was horrified to find out that my cheque of RM57.50 has been cleared for more than RM4,000.00. I had to make police report and write to RD to explain with their prepaid envelope few times. However ,RD seems did not reply and seems to ignore all my letters. Instead they keep sending reminder again for the payment hoping I make the payment again. Be careful of their scam.

Azwardi bin Mohd Jelani said...

Who know that night I get a one letter from rdasia & he said I am a winner
& I need to claim the prize from them... I think about RM625,000.00 & I have a voucher...

Unknown said...

saya pun dpt surat tu ptg td. sy nk tahu pendapat awk semua benda ni betul atau cubaan menipu org sbnrnya...
tolong explain dlm bahasa melayu boleh x? sori sbb sy xberapa fhm la..

Unknown said...

saya pun dpt surat tu ptg td. sy nk tahu pendapat awk semua benda ni betul atau cubaan menipu org sbnrnya...
tolong explain dlm bahasa melayu boleh x? sori sbb sy xberapa fhm la..